Monday, October 19, 2009

Training v guiding v teaching v modeling


or how do we really train our dogs, anyway? Most people forget, or never knew, that every single moment we are in our dog's presence, he is learning. We had better be sure he's learning what we want him to, because lessons learned are hard to un-learn. It's nigh-on to impossible to say to your dog, "Dog, you will forget you just nudged me and got me to drop my steak so you could eat it" because regardless of whatever disapproving epithets you hurl his way, he did, afterall, get to taste something divine.

Even without something as motivating as a steak, dogs are masterful at manipulating situations to their liking. The poodle has me trained to hold the blanket up to allow him underneath when I sit down on the couch. Stano woofs insistently at the door and knows that while he might, once in awhile, get an angry Beth hollering "Be Quiet!" most of the time he can count on me dutifully letting him in or out, as the case may be.

So I call myself a dog trainer?

Yeah, actually, because I don't kid myself about what's happening. I know I'm being cued by my dogs at least as often as they're being cued by me. It's a constant choreography of signals and responses. I am aware of it, and I monitor for those moments when I must negate the dog's wish or steer its behavior. And because the dog is monitoring me for my response to his cues, the signal I reflect back is almost as subtle as simply having a clear visualization of my expectation. Because clarity is, afterall, the path upon which our intentions either glide or stick; reaching our goals or falling short; having a trained dog, or being a trained dog owner :))

8 comments:

  1. Like we used to say in the military, it runs both ways--up and down leash!

    Have fun blogging, Beth. You should have asked me about it: 3 years, over 1500 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always enjoyed being around dogs. Most are better than people, I have to say. They are very close to human but without the ego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to like it around here. I have a very strong-willed German Sheppard/Lab and maybe I can learn a thing or two that SHE hasn't taught me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi beth, here via ww...

    you're right they teach as much as learn ;)

    have had mostly GSDs, a boston terrier, and a superb shiloh shepherd, currently an almost 6-mo old sheltie with a heart murmur and liver shunt, but he's a sweetie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writtenwyrd, my first entry admits I don't read blogs, so don't be offended...I read at least one or two of your 1500 ;-) and I'm still waiting for a finalized version of the many short stories and novels you started; I want to know the rest of the story!

    Charles, this is a place for dog lovers and/or philosophers, and it sounds like you're both. Welcome.

    Starbucks, if you have training issues with your shepherd/Lab, I'm happy to address specific concerns. This column isn't a training venue per se, but more of a place to share observations. I do offer individual training (if you live nearby) or consultation (if you don't) so feel free to post a question and I'll try to help.

    Laughingwolf, sorry to hear about your sheltie's medical difficulties but they are resilient and he'll probably live as if he has no impediments whatsoever. We humans have so much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thx... and we do indeed...

    yesterday he got his rabies shot and i learned he's added 10 oz to his weight, so all's good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sheltie breeder works at our vet clinic, and I've had the privilege of watching many of her babies grow to magnificent adults, winning championships but even more importantly winning friends for the lovely breed. Hope your boy continues to flourish.

    ReplyDelete