Thursday, July 1, 2010

Minor victories


Anyone who has followed these postings back a few months knows that around here the concept of "natural birth" had attained a reputation much like the mythical unicorn; people said it was possible but I hadn't seen one. Well I must have slipped into fairytale country, because, wonder of wonders, Ember delivered her eight puppies the old-fashioned, non-surgical way! Of course, to keep the universe in balance, Godiva had her single puppy by the (now) tradition of Caesarian, but both mom and pup are well. I'm almost afraid to state that publicly for fear of jinxing the next delivery (Elatha's) but on the other hand it's a welcome bit of happy news.

On other happy news fronts, a few days ago I was contacted by officers of the National Rat Terrier Association (NRTA) and asked if I wouldn't like to have Animal Planet tape my dogs to be featured on "Dogs.101" Well....why not? So, Wednesday evening a very nice fellow followed the Rat Terriers around with a camera. Being somewhat clownish anyway and having a captive audience, they put on some particularly good shows for him. The pups pounced and leaped and cavorted and somersaulted for all they were worth, and the adults did stunts and chased frisbees and did their ever-lovin' best to charm the socks off anyone who sees that footage. Unfortunately, three hours of taping gets reduced to about six minutes of actual air time, so the majority of the dog's antics will end up on the cutting room floor. Watch for the rat terrier feature this fall; the cameraman figured sometime in October but couldn't be more specific.


So we head into a holiday weekend, feet tapping to Sousa marches, flags waving, sparklers illuminating kids' faces under starry skies, our sound-sensitive dogs tucked into bedrooms or crates. Have a Happy National Birthday!

4 comments:

  1. Wow that's great! We were just watching that show yesterday. Maybe they will come back for the German Shepherds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but blogger has eaten my comments again. I commented a few days ago to say this was really cool news and do let us know when the show airs, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine that was my first thought when they contacted me, but I guess the show has been running for a few years and they already featured GSD's. So no Animal Planet fame for my shepherds, at least not on Dogs.101. I don't expect that they'll let me know when it's going to air, so I'm counting on folks who are regular viewers of Animal Planet to give me a heads up if they make any mention of an upcoming feature on rat terriers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll keep my eyes open for it... Great news for Ember, sorry about Godiva, and good luck with Ella!!! I know I'm a little behind : )

    ReplyDelete