Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dog People


Some days I can’t help wondering what it is about dogs that entrances us so…why do some of us weave the strands of our lives inextricably with theirs? Why are some so obsessively in love with our four-legged pals as to virtually eat-sleep-breathe dogs? And, perhaps more illuminating, there’s the completely incomprehensible (to dog lovers) question of why some folks do not.

Dog lovers and non-dog folk come in every stripe; you’re not going to differentiate dog-centric versus non-dog people through easily categorized distinctions like athletes versus sedentary types, country versus city dwellers, extroverts versus hermits. Sub-categories further complicate the picture - dog owners who profess to love their dogs may provide well for their physical needs but have no meaningful relationship with them (which opens up parallel inquiries into similar human conundrums); vet clinics are full of doting dog owners who literally kill their dogs with kindness; people on street corners gush over every dog they meet but don’t own one, believing they couldn’t do right by them (maybe correctly, maybe not); and the list goes on. Since my curiosity is directed towards those of us whose lives are modified dramatically by dogs versus the opposite leg of the bell curve, I’d really love to get a discussion going as to what drives some of us “to the dogs.” Is this obsession a sign that we dog-folk are a tad off-kilter, or can we claim to be the enlightened ones?

I’ve wondered if it has to do with whether or not we’re raised with dogs, conjecturing that lack of exposure early in life might atrophy some crucial psychological process, some developmental milestone when mirror neurons need stimulation to allow toddlers to develop healthy empathy for other beings. If parents or caregivers weren’t particularly good at providing those opportunities, or even if they were, those of us with canine pack-mates learned early-on, likely when pre- or barely-verbal, to read the real-time emotional reactions that dogs give. Humans say one thing but mean another; dogs give it to you straight. Children who don’t have the opportunity to see the cause and effect of pulling a dog’s whisker might never develop quite the same capacity for simpatico as those of us who grew up with dog hair pasted to our sticky fingers.

Taking it further back in the dog/human symbiotic evolutionary process, perhaps proto-dogs originally gravitated to human encampments because children snuck a few mammoth bones away from the hearth to lure in a puppy to play with. If proto-dogs had to choose between (A) accepting the sure thing (the bone) versus (B) snatching the more succulent but riskier (because of adult retribution) toddler, I’m betting that both child and proto-dog learned to read each other’s every gesture and expression quite accurately. Only those dogs that made choice (A) survived to produce pups to come back for a mammoth bone another day. Fast-forward a few million years and today’s dogs still provide children with non-verbal but very communicative pack-mates which may help prepare them to navigate the complex, broader human network. I’m thinking there is far more to this human-dog symbiotic exchange than we usually wonder about.

But ok, what about the adults…what about those of us who openly admit we prefer the company of dogs to that of people. What gives? Surely that’s not a “normal” or healthy position? Is it? (please tell me it is). While it may be true that we can trust our dogs whereas our fellow hominids are suspect, is our preference for dogs symptomatic of something gone awry in our psychological development? Yes, our dogs love us unconditionally while our kids/spouses/bosses expect us to minister to their needs in one form or another. But still, have we failed to navigate some essential transition from our childhood canine connections to evolutionarily essential human ones? Or should we just be grateful that we’re among the ones who have the benefit of the rich, funny, infuriating, blissful pleasure of being loved by dogs and loving them back?

I do know that there seems to be a longing for understanding that dogs satisfy, maybe one stemming from those long-ago fireside exchanges when eyes at the fringe of darkness reflected the firelight back and two intelligent, social beings really saw one another. Dogs meet a need for direct, raw, unfiltered connection that doesn’t happen often or easily with other humans. I suspect that the modern world alienates us from the immediacy of living, and our domestic wolves let us tap into what is still real and wild and alive in ourselves.

5 comments:

  1. I certainly hope it's "normal"... I certainly would rather be with my dogs than people. Maybe it's the unconditional love, maybe it's the undying loyalty, or maybe just my warm sleeping pals and fuzzy feet warmers... : ) They don't argue, squabble, or judge. I have had dogs all my life from toddler up til now (im 37), and I can still remember my first dog a Collie who staid by my side constantly, watched me as I played and lived til he was 12....that was rough growing up and loosing your best friend.... I had a few in between, we normally keep 2-3 at a time. My last dog I had with my family was a GSD mix from the shelter, it had the pure loyalty of a true GSD, always protective and by my side, when I left home, he stayed with my Mom up until his passing (I couldn't leave her alone :) )
    I now have 2 GSD, a Siberian Husky, and a Labrador. They each have there own unique personality and keep me on my toes, I truly don't know what I would do without a dog in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a recently converted Dog person, having been a Cat person for most of my life. The transformation of cat to dog is a huge paradigm shift. Thank you Beth for helping me to make that adjustment.

    Here is what I have learned so far.

    As a cat person, you act to please a cat and do not expect a cat to try and please you. Soft fur and purring are what you get from being a cat person and that is great. But because they demand so little, they maintain a level of independence and offer you no comment about who you are as a person.

    Dogs are the flip side of cats. They require you to be the master. If you are not, they mirror that weakness back to you. If you cater too much to a dog it becomes unbalanced. You have to step up and commit yourself to the role of being boss in a way completely foreign to cat people.

    Wanting to do right by my dog, I am making the effort daily to take on that helm and it has reverberated in to my relationships with humans. As a dog owner you are entitled to have your dog do what you say and to accept nothing less. But with that entitlement comes the responsibility of being sure that dog knows what you want.

    I have found as I have been able to execute a command on my willful dog successfully there is suddenly a little extra starch in my shirt and I find myself more assertive with the hominids in my life as well. I can see that my relationship with my canine will have a far reaching transformative influence on me.

    It is easily understandable that some would enjoy the company of dogs more then people because a dog wants to please you. Most people want you to please them more then they really want to meet your needs. So dogs can be inherently more satisfying to be around because they gratify our desire to be the master of our own little universes.

    I would suggest that whether one prefers the company of dogs more then people is not a matter of right or wrong. What matters is the quality of company and what you do with it. I believe that through the love of a dog we can begin to improve our relationships with other beings because a dog requires you to develop clear communication of expectations, patience and empathy. All things that serve us well to practice with others too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hope that preferring the company of a dog is "normal". I don't think I realized what a dog person I was until I lost my K9 partner (and best friend). I think it's more than the unconditional love, I think it's the insticitve pack dynamic that the dog brings to the relationship. The feeling of a family that cannot be broken or separated, something so many of us have seen torn from ourselves or the ones we love. I'd say it's not that the love is unconditional, but that the condition of the love is one we wish we could count on from ourselves or others.

    One night after a failed search had taken us over railroad tracks, through a bad neighborhood (with armed officers at our side and a noisy heat sensing helicopter above us) my partner and I came to a stop with no where else to go. As we sat down, simulaneously, on the side of a road I praised him. I was loyal to him, had faith in him, followed him (although at one point he did drag me over a ravine...hey it was really dark) without doubt. I realize, looking back, that he never thought I wouldn't be right with him, he never looked back to make sure I was there, because we were a pack. That's just how it is.

    Kinship without criticism, love without let down and padded feet to follow me on your journey of life. What else do I need? Well I guess I need another dog now. *waits patiently*.

    Thanks for your post, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been around dogs...except for a few years after college...but in that time I still KNEW I was a dog person. I still remember the excitement of getting my first dog of my own! She was a GSD who was going to fullfill ALL of my hopes and dreams and expectations of what a great dog is all about...boy was I in for a surprise! It was trial by fire...but 11 glorious years of love. This time around we have learned from our mistakes and Genni continues to impress and amaze us every day. Dogs=Truth. And that isn't something you can find out there in the Real World. Keep the posts coming, Beth...love em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, get caught up with the needs of another new litter for a few days and you miss out on some insightful conversation! I appreciate the thoughts expressed, and am relieved on a personal level that so many of you found ideas you could relate to and echo.

    Your comments refined and clarified some of the thoughts I'd had, and I especially appreciate Katie's nuanced suggestion that the love of a dog is "that which we wish we could count on from ourselves...".

    I ended the quote there because I want to focus on this aspect, the transformative potential...it's one of the ways dogs can instruct us in living...from the ego-centric aspect of dog ownership. The remainder of the statement "...or others" emphasizes what dogs give us, whether we earn it or not. They love the way they do because they are true to their nature. We can aspire to do likewise. This too is a gift to us from them, but is not passive. It requires our ongoing, moment-by-moment commitment to, in essence, recognize and manifest our true nature, our human nature, by learning to love as our dogs do. Not for gain, but because, as Katie's experience with her Search Dog describes, we know what we owe, what is due, in a committed, love-based relationship.

    Narf (Genni) and PoetGrrrl you are so right, Dogs = Truth. They mirror who we are. This is a concept you'll find me returning to over and over. It's essential to understand that if you want to succeed in training, because training is accomplished through communication. You can see, immediately, what you've said to the dog if you can correctly interpret its response.

    Special thanks to a reader for supplying the translation to Rain's post:
    "When you really want a certain thing, the whole universe will unite to help you." Reminds me of the concepts explored in "The Artist's Way" and which I have found to be profoundly true. Thank you Rain, I hope you'll drop by with comments frequently.

    ReplyDelete